The best teacher can take a complex thing and make it simple – the worst will take the simple and make it complex. So here’s what we know:
- Evidence is the basis of science and our body of knowledge – a fully intelligent conclusion is therefore no potter no pot, no artist no painting, no designer no design
- The world is part of a universe functioning according to observable laws – gravity, aerodynamics, movement, forces, entropy, thermodynamics and so on
- Existence was well summed up by Descartes – ‘I think therefore I am’. It begs the question of ‘why?’ and it’s one every human tries to answer before death.
- A sense of right and wrong, let’s name it as morality, is not given to an inanimate object so can only be explained as being in some way ‘programmed in’
- Evolution is interesting but is neither complete nor a fully satisfactory fact – in any event, where did the raw materials come from in the first place? No clay no pot, no paint no painting, no architect no building … and the eternal question that dogs humanity, why?!
- Humans are used to endings and beginnings. These we can understand and accept, to a point! No other being can handle the intricacies of advanced language or create and appreciate beautiful art.
- Homo sapiens delight in relationships, in connections, in purpose, in achievements and in choice – we need these things for fulfilment.
What if there was, is, a God? Does it not all then make sense?! To reject that would be non-sense, nonsensical, unless there was a cogent logical alternative to satisfy rather than simply denying the ‘Mind behind’.
So many obstacles exist ('they exist, therefore they are'!) – pride (I don’t need a God), rebellion (let me take control), culture (this is right for me now), self (this world exists for me and around me).
Very many more things have been said and could be said, but there is one who claims to be the ‘beginning’ and the ‘end’ – He just might be worth considering very carefully. Living as an atheist is a free choice, dying as one is a costly tragedy.
The heart of the matter is the matter of the heart – you matter because you are alive so please look at this: https://www.connect4life.org.uk/unconnected/unconnected-introduction.
Other helpful guides:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMSLymLqti8 – The Age of Enlightenment
TAGS – Atheist, Atheism, Agnostic, agnosticism, faith, hope, life, belief, believe, doubt, death