There are many ways we can feel boxed into a corner - for example:
- Being defined by others rather than who we feel ourselves to be
- Finding ourselves trapped in a circumstance or role with no apparent way out
- Feeling locked into a church denomination.
For this duck, it’s as if its wings are clipped and it has no choice but to stay cornered in its hopeless situation. However, it makes a difference if someone has ‘got your corner’ and is actually with you - like a Coach in a boxing match to show you the way out. If you have someone with you, you are no longer alone or without help. Being stuck can be a thing of the past. Are there areas in your life where you feel boxed into a corner? Now is an ideal time to hear encouragement from the Coach.
- ‘We can all be cornered and victimized and bullied by someone who's trying to take our contextual clues of our personality or appearance, the circumstantial, and trying to make that evidence to fit their narrative. That's very scary’ - Paul Walter Hauser
- ‘I felt trapped and fabricated in the fifties living up to other people's expectations’ - Rosemary Clooney
Unless you break out of that corner, you will never find yourself and true fulfilment. If you feel battered into submission, it’s time to have a word with Coach.
- ‘For we do not have a high priest who is unable to empathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet he did not sin. Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need’ - Hebrews 4:15-16
- ‘We must pay the most careful attention, therefore, to what we have heard, so that we do not drift away … Because he (Jesus) himself suffered when he was tempted, he is able to help those who are being tempted - Hebrews 2:1, 18
- ‘Every test that you have experienced is the kind that normally comes to people. But God keeps his promise, and he will not allow you to be tested beyond your power to remain firm; at the time you are put to the test, he will give you the strength to endure it, and so provide you with a way out’ - 1 Corinthians 10:13
Jesus came to bring you out from the corner not simply as Coach but as ‘rescuing Saviour’ who lifts you up from it. We may never fully understand what happened through Jesus’ death on the cross but we can be sure it was to give you ‘life to the full’, to ease your burden, to show you the way and give you rest. If you ask him, there’s no corner or situation too bad that he is unable to lift you out of. Don’t be a dead duck stuck in a corner!
TAGS – salvation, renewal, redemption, atonement, hope